Whitehall - The village took its name from a house
built here in the 1670s by Patrick Fea. By the early 20th century,
the village had become one of the Herring Capitals of Europe and in
1924 over 12,000 tons of herring were landed at Whitehall. During the
boom years Whitehall developed considerably and the Stronsay Hotel
was reported to have the longest bar in Scotland!
Lower Whitehall - Now almost deserted this little
community was built to house the families of herring fishermen.
Ayre of the Myres - This beautiful sandy beach,
near Whitehall, is ideal for a picnic, seal watching and swimming.
Well of Kildinguie - Water from this fresh spring
located just below the high water mark, when taken, was reputed to
be a cure for all known ailments except the Black Death.
Mill Bay - Nestling within this horse-shoe shaped
bay is one of Stronsay's finest sandy beaches overlooked by a variety
of grassy slopes, low cliffs and sand dunes which are home to a diverse
flora of mosses and flowering plants.
Stronsay Meal Mill - This privately owned three-storey
meal mill with wheel and lade was built in the early 19th century and
stands at the foot of Mill Brae, fed with water from a stream leading
from the Muckle Water to Mill Bay.
The Muckle Water - The Meikie or Muckle Water as
it is known locally is one of Stronsay's largest freshwater lochs where
bird and plant life abound. Merganser and Shoveler Duck are found and
it's an excellent site for marsh plant communities. The loch has been
stocked with Brown Trout and the fishing is free.
Bluthers Geo and the Maime - Adjacent to the geo
there is a natural swimming pool and the setting is ideal for a picnic.
Nearby on a stack called the Maime a grass-covered mound is an early
Christian hermitage site.
Vat of Kirbister - A
recently constructed nature walk affords easy access to the Vat (Orkney’s
best natural arch). Cliff scenery in the area is breathtaking - a
must for every visitor. But take care. From Whitehall, a round trip
of 10 miles.
Tarn's Castle - On the summit
of this stack is a hermitage ruin within the shelter of a high
Iron Age Fort - A small promontory fort dating
from the Early Iron Age has a stone-faced rampart across the narrow
Broch of Burgh Head - This is the largest of Stronsay's
hermitage sites. Running along the landward side of the stack is a
stone wall, the 'Vallum Monasterii', a symbolic barrier against the
Burgh Hill - Part of the recently formed Nature
Walk the area abounds with plant life including a variety of mosses
Lamb Ness & Lamb Head - This
beautiful promontory, home to myriad seabirds, is also dotted with
interesting archaeological sites including 'Pict Houses'. At the
neck of the isthmus the so-called Danes Pier, a natural rock structure
said to be the site of a Norse harbour, is a haven for seals. From
Whitehall, a round trip of 12 miles.
The Pow - The
pow or pool is a safe anchorage used by a local fisherman which
ebbs dry at low water. Along the track beside the Pow is an unusual
population of White Thistles and a large area of Patagonian Ragwort,
a naturalised plant belonging to Southern Chile and Patagonia.
and the Sand of Crook - The large Lea Shun loch
attracts a large variety of breeding wildfowl and along
the adjacent beach can be found the lovely blue-flowered
Rothiesholm Sand - On
this beautiful sandy beach stretching to over a mile
some of Orkney's rarest shells can be found. To the
west of the bay is an area of wet dune slack where
a wealth of plants are located.
Head - Pronounced locally as Rousam
Head this large tract of heather moorland attracts
many breeding birds. Here, by tradition, crofters
are afforded 'Peat Rights' and many backbreaking
but happy hours have been spent on the Hill.
It now hosts aero-generators.
of Baywest - Elongated mound just
above the shoreline, an unexcavated site
which contains a burial chamber of the
stalled type dating from 3000BC or earlier.
To the north is a mound containing a broch
tower and the broad platform conceals the
remains of an extensive Iron Age village.
Catherine's Bay - A fine
sandy stretch with very low tides
which make it a popular 'spoot’ or
razor fish beach; this edible shellfish
is dug out of the sand. Access road
to parking area and beach.
Holm - Now owned by
the Scottish Wildlife Trust,
this is an important breeding
site for Atlantic Grey seals
and for Greylag Geese.
of Huip - Important
breeding site for Atlantic
Grey Seals in October
- A concrete
barge built in
France in the early
1900s used to store
coal to supply
It sank in the
1930s and for many
years local men
coal from her in
small boats in
the dead of night.
Church - This
is the islands
and was built
in 1955 to
A large building
many of the
in its construction.
Stronsay - This
of Earl Rognvald
1046 by supporters
ended the rivalry
2 Earls and
as sole Earl
In 1999 the Transalpine Redemptorists bought the island and re-established
the Monastery (St Nicholas), renaming it Golgotha Monastery. The monks
have built 24 new cells and renovated the Big House for use as the refectory,
kitchen and tool shed.
Visits can be arranged with prior agreement from the owners.